Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Hair Thing History


Back in high school, one of my best friends was Jaymi. One day, Jaymi told me how her mother cut off all of her shoulder length hair and started locing her hair. I was so amazed and impressed by her mother's decision to do this, that I just knew one day when I grew up.... I wanted to do the exact same thing. Of course, I had no idea when that one day would be. So for the next 15 or so years, I did the perm, the braids, the weaves, etc, etc, etc. It was an ugly cycle that always ended up the same way. Grow hair -> Hair get weak -> Cut it off ->Grow hair ->Hair get weak -> Cut it off. I got so fed up that in 1998 at the tender age of 23, I cut off all of my near should length hair and sported a TWA (tweeny weeny afro). I felt it was time to give my hair a much needed break from the cycle. Life with my hair was great...... or so I thought. I found a good barber, dating was going waaaay better than expected, and no more relaxer burns!!! But there was something missing with this new hairdo. Excitement and variety. Watching everyone else sport their sassy new hairstyles became too much to bare. In 2000 for my 25th birthday, I returned to the hair crack. Now five years later, what did I have to show for it? Grow hair -> Hair get weak -> Cut it off.

2 comments:

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

I like this summary of YOUR hairstory, thanks for shairing it!

I like the TWA on you as well, you sport it with confidence!

Sis.RJQueen10

I thought I would just come to you site and make a quick comment, but noooooooooo, I had to go and get "caught up". I tell ya the truth, blogging is addictive! I should be studying, for tommorrow's class.

Goodnapps said...

Why thank you so much! Sorry to have got you so "caught up."

The pic is actually my SL's about a week later. Initially I did some back posting to get everyone up to speed.

Oh the memories of how far I've come!