Sunday, April 29, 2007

So What Am I Free From?

When we all made the decision to go with Sisterlocks, I'm sure there were plenty of reasons that motivated us to do so. We wanted to be free but free from what? Some say Sisterlocks are too costly and time consuming to offer any kind of freedom. But I think until you've been in a person's situation, you are in no position to pass judgement.

But for me, my #1 and #2 reasons to go with locks and subsequently Sisterlocks was to be free from that chemical damage of the relaxer. Not because I hated wearing my hair straight. Not because I never wanted to spend another penny paying for my hair to be done. Not because I never wanted to step foot in another beauty salon. Not because I look forward to doing my hair myself. Not because I was looking for a new fad hairstyle. Not because I was looking for some inner spiritualness of being black or to be a rebel against conformity and the white man. Do I receive some of these benefits? You betcha. But they weren't my primary motivators.

I WAS TIRED OF THE RELAXER DAMAGE AND GOING BALD BECAUSE OF IT.

Some of my other motivators in order of importance are below.

3. I didn't want to deal with my hair on a day to day basis.
4. I didn't want anymore combs going through my hair.
5. I want hair that's past my shoulders, healthy and mine. Not fake, glued or sewed in.
6. The same styling versatility that I received from wearing a relaxer.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I got the freedom I was looking for and a lot more extra.

17 comments:

Abena Abena said...

Amen Sis, I feel ya and I love your updo....are you using a hair tie?

Goodnapps said...

Chosen - Why thank you very much. I am wearing a hairtie indeed.

Cashana - Thanks!

muslimahlocs said...

amin to that. and love the look. i was natural for @ seven years before i got my sisterlocks so i had already gone through my "transition" back to natural hair. i love my sisterlocks even more now that i can at least make an effort to give them the attention that they deserve.

Anonymous said...

Miss Thing you always have a great way of puuting things and that is why I love reading your blog!

Your updo a la brunslitie is very cute!

Aya said...

Well chosen words. I agree and plus some. btw...your hair looks cute all pinned up in the hair tie!!! Love it.

GIgirl said...

Amen, to that. I understand the sense of freedom you must be feeling, just from reading your words.

Goodnapps said...

Muslimahlocs - Thanks so much! I've found that transition to be quite a journey indeed.

Tra - Why thank you so much. LOL - not everyone always appreciates
my interesting way of putting things. Oh well. Thanks for the love.

Aya - Thanks so much hon. It's nice to finally have hair long enough to work the hairtie.

GIgirl - Thanks so much. It's a pleasure sharing.

TwoIslandsGirl said...

As everyone else has said, amen, amen, and amen. You are telling the truth! Your hair looks so cute with that hairtie.

Goodnapps said...

TwoIslandGirl - Thank you so much dear.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya!!!! I was natural for years before getting Sisterlocks and the time it took to two-strand twist or cornrow into two puffs or just do anything to my hair (since it was craziness when left free) was in no comparison getting my hair retightened every 6-8 weeks.

Love the updo!

Goodnapps said...

Thanks Meikmeika. I'm waiting on your style updates as well.

Anonymous said...

Greetings! I'd like to be added to your Braidlocs Links! :)

queenlilocjourney.blogspot.com

Your Locks are nice, Very Nice!!!!
Take Care~

Nu-Me said...

I could not agree with you more and I must say this is well said!

Nu-Me said...

I could not agree with you more and I must say this is well said!

Sis. RJQueen10 said...

Very excellent picture! You are working the updo-styling on your hair. I love your jewerly again. I LOVE YOUR DEFINITION OF FREEDOM. One of the things I found remarkable from reading your blogspot, is that you were able to find a sylist for your natural hair. That is cool, Real Cool Indeed! I would have never considered this had it not been for you.

I do love the way you write on you blog, your style is unique, and you consistently say just what needs to be said. Not too much and not too little. PERFECT!

Sis. RJQueen10

Goodnapps said...

Queenli - Thanks and not a problem.

Nu-me - Thanks so much for stopping by and dropping a comment.

Sis RJ - I don't find the need to be completely anti-salon. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little pampering. Once or twice a year ain't gonna kill me, especially since it's now a matter of choice and not necessity.

Goodnapps said...

Sis RJ - oh yea, I forgot to add there is no shame in my game since I do pack up my own products/accessories for them to use at the salon.