Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Small World

I know it is a cliche but when folks say "It's a small world" they are not kidding.
My mother and I got to meet Detra's mom Carnella at Sunday's dinner. Carnella lived in Cleveland initially but moved to Columbus when Detra was a little girl. Carnella told us about two of her first cousins Bobby and Percy Womack. Well Percy was a bus driver for the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority and guess what...so is my mom. It just so happens that my mother knew Percy and even told us a story about the time she was about to be late for work and Percy gave her the keys to his Cadillac so she would make it on time. Sadly, Percy is now passed and he was Carnella's favorite cousin. Whew, talk about a tear jerker moment.

People come in and out of our lives for many reasons. I've learned to cherish these reasons for both the good and the bad.

I don't know if it's just me or not, but I swear Detra's mom reminds me of Alice Walker. Or maybe I still have too much Color Purple on the brain.

3 comments:

Sister-in-Locks said...

I can see the likeness. I have always thought Detra was a cutie and now I can see where she gets it from. It's nice to see mother and daughter share in this experience.

Dee said...

awww shucks Karen, make me blush alittle more, why dont cha! LOL..thanks I think my momma is a cutie too! LOL

Tanya...girl I can not express enough how great is was to meet you and your mother. And a tear jerking moment that was, I was very close to my cousin Percy as well, and it was so comforting to meet someone who too, experienced how special he was and still is, even in his death.

Alice Walker huh? hmmm dont know maybe its the dreds? My mommie loves the Color purple though! She doesnt care too much for Whoopie Goldberg, but has been told she resembles her too? All I see is my best friend and a great Mommie!

Funlayo said...

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate all your kind comments